Professional Qualifications & Admission:
- LLB (Hons), (2 Upper Division) University of Southampton (1996)
- Obtained Diploma in Singapore Law from National University of Singapore (1997)
- Admitted as Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1998)
Collin has been practising as a dispute resolution lawyer for more than twenty (20) years. Having first established firm foundations in the practice of shipping law, Collin developed an interest in commercial law and pursued it further when he worked with a Senior Counsel for approximately eight (8) years. Collin has been actively involved in a wide spectrum of commercial and shipping litigation and dispute resolution over a span of more than two (2) decades.
Collin’s main area of practice is in shipping, civil and commercial litigation which encompass the following areas, namely, carriage of goods, charterparty disputes, building and construction disputes, shareholders’ disputes, sale of goods, insolvency and employment disputes. Collin enjoys litigation practice and its associated pressure as he looks forward to learning new areas, identifying and analysing the issues, carrying out research and finally, applying the law onto the issues to his clients’ favour.
Collin has argued in all levels of the Singapore courts. He is also actively involved in arbitration both local (both privately appointed as well as SIAC) and international (including, ICC) in ship sale and purchase, sale of goods, supply of services and charterparty disputes.
Some of the significant matters that Collin has handled are: –
- Successfully represented shareholders and directors of a SME in a claim brought by a disgruntled shareholder alleging breaches of directors’ duties and diversion of funds
- Successfully represented a shareholder in a claim against other shareholders for breaches of shareholders’ agreement
- Successfully represented a partnership in a claim against a partner for alleged breaches of duties and criminal breach of trust
- Successfully defended manufacturer of ships’ engines for claim brought by a ship owner alleging, amongst other things, defective manufacturing and design
- Successfully represented a claim by HVAC contractor against main contractor for outstanding payment
- Successfully defended a company in a claim brought by a purchaser for a declaration that certain powers of attorney were null and void
- Represented a company in a claim against ex-employees for breaches of fiduciary duties and taking of confidential information
- Represented a claim by owner and operator of onshore wells in West Java Province against driller
- Represented a claim by an owner of a new build vessel against a shipyard for failure to deliver
Collin is a senior trainer in the Law Society’s advocacy training program for Singapore Institute of Legal Education. He volunteers his time at the pro bono legal clinics organized by the Catholic Lawyers Guild.